May 02, 2008

Jealousy

The other day in one of my classes we were talking about jealousy. As we were going throught the powerpoints, one of the bullets said women use jealousy as a tool more than men. I thought this was interesting. Would we all use jealousy the same amount? Don't both genders have the same amount of jealousy? Apparently not. It said that women use it more time than men do in order to make the opposite "want you more." Women have more of a tendancy to make their man jealous. They do things like go on a date with someone else, say they're ok with something and then use that same situation against them later on, and let them know that they should be put number one in their life. Now I know there are some people who do this but I wouldn't say one gender over the other. What do you think?

2 comments:

NEfan77 said...

In my experiences, I think that jealousy is completly contextualized and can not be generalized to one gender. Although I think that there are many women that I know that do use jealousy as a tool to create jealousy in the other partner and create mind games, I think that they are intially jealous and that is why this whole cycle starts. I also think that in our society, women are painted as the more complex of the two genders, mentally, and have more emotions, and therefore are plagued with possessing more jealousy than the male gender.

frosticles said...

I would agree that the issue of jealousy is not more of a female than a male (or even a male more than a female) issue.

I do think that jealousy can be rather destructive though and there are multiple ways to try to avoid this as much as possible. By considering your partner's feelings, avoiding situations that would give someone cause to feel threatened or jealous, and not doing things you wouldn't want your partner doing are just a few things. Being vulnerable and open to discussing real issues when it comes to triggering someone's jealous side would probably be a very good thing! :)