May 02, 2008

Romantic Relationships

Julia woods talks about the different models of affection and needs of both men and women. She says men are more instrumental and women are more expressive. Men need autonomy and women need connection. With that we think that men aren't as "into" relationships as women. We also think of women being the more romantic ones. In another one of my communication classes we talked about how men are actually more romantic. They are the ones who do the romantic things like send the girl flowers or chololates. It also talked about how women are more satiflied with the romantic side of the relatioship than men. In a way this does make sense. When you think of Valentines day you think of the flowers and chololates usually both associated with being given to the women. What do men usually receive? Many times women have a hard time thinking of a gift for their man so they end up getting something that isn't as special for them. This isn't because they don't love them, it's because there is that general rule that the man should send the woman flowers and chocolates.

After that lessons I started to think more about what we had talked about that day. In the end I felt that women have more romantic hopes and men have more romantic reactions.

Do you think men or women are more romantic?

1 comment:

frosticles said...

All things considered, I think it depends on the individual. In addition, romance (at least in my book ;) goes far beyond flowers, chocolates, and cards. That being said, in our culture I think there are certain general expectations that men provide the gifts on Valentine's day, etc. As a female, I do find it hard sometimes to come up with an idea of something romantic, but I know it's also hard for guys to come up with ideas sometimes too.

Here's another thought... does romance or do romantic gifts require spending money? I tend to think not, but some of my friends think yes. What do others think?