May 01, 2008

Marky Mark!

In class on the 22nd we talked about women in the media and how Calvin Klein objectified women. Well are they glorifying Marky Mark of objectifying him too. I don’t mind looking at the add myself but I would have to say they seem to be playing the show it off game here. Who is this targeted to? Men so the can look like this. Women so they will buy it in hopes that their men will look like this. Or gay men because they want to see it, buy, and look like it…?

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiLNgmIEBWFQUwcXHnRGw1PvCoHgWG3Evsd5QzUHMgkSE1poExOjAms7qjr-rx68IXNKif2L0BjFMjsRoIFWl25jEunODxBBgsUu7U4CL7bQBPwvtCJGFrZwspx8ksT75Hsjg3rmWPlmWHa/s1600-h/wahlberg.jpg

5 comments:

hotbod69 said...

Buzz I was thinking that same thing the other day when they were showing ads found in esquire. The ads suppose to be for men, but in what way... hmm good question. I look at it and im like ok a naked guy. who looks at that and says hmm i want to buy that and then use it to make me look sleek clean and buff like THAT guy. sounds like a winner to me!

The Man said...

I totally agree that the market to which they are catering this ad is not very specific. I personally feel that they are catering to gay men by showing this ad. Most clothing ads for mens underwear show a nearly naked men. Who are they catering to? That's my question.

AnnonymousCommBlogger380 said...

I would agree that this type of ad is trying to appeal to gay men. that they will want to be a guy like that or get a guy like that by buying a certain type of underwear. As if you walk around malls and restaurants showing peole your underwear before you get to know them. I think it also is trying to appeal to the women in hopes that they will buy the underwear for theur boyfriends, thereby making them look sexy.

55557 said...

I don't necessarily think it was targeted at anyone in particular. i think it was more of a branding strategy - meant to be edgy and get people talking while positioning Calvin as a sexy, edgy brand.

BUZZ said...

55557, get real! everything is targeted at someone or something. Like this comment is targeted at you. I am just being blunt and obvious about it. rather than not being clear about it.