May 02, 2008

The Rules

A few days ago I was talking to my partner. We were talking about the rules, specially the rule on when to call back after the first date. I told them that we talked about how one of the rules was to wait about 5 days to call. They thought htis was crazy and I agreed. We both thought that the person would lose interest if or think that they lost interest if you waited that long to call. As we were sitting their we came up with our own set of rules. Since we're already together it was more so for those who are fresh to the dating scene. We thought if you really liked the person and wanted to hang out again, then you could call the next day or wait two days. Any longer than that and we think you're out of the game. If you had fun but want to remain friends, you should call with in the next week or so. If you had a horrible time then either delete them from your phone book or put them in the never call category.

1 comment:

frosticles said...

That's funny! It'd be an interesting exercise for all dating couples, don't you think? While it's certainly unspoken on my part, I tend to behave and think that it should be fairly equal when it comes to calling one another and if it's a casual/developing relationship then 5-7 days is fine with me. If it's more serious then it's much less.

I've noticed that when the 'scales' become more unequal - meaning I'm calling more - then I tend to back off and think to myself that either I'm too eager or becoming a bother to the guy, or that it's his turn and by golly I'm not calling again until I hear from him. In many ways I think it boils down to a security or insecurity thing. If the guy's not also calling me then I feel like I don't matter to him and he doesn't want to take the time or initiative to contact and spend time interacting with me.

Weird? Does anyone else see a bit of this in themselves?